AFCW Battle hard to win in Glasgow

Aberdeen survived a late penalty scare in Glasgow to maintain their 100% record in SWPL2. Bayley Hutchison’s second half goal was enough to take all three points as Cara Henderson saw her 85th minute spot kick go over the bar.

There were two changes to the Aberdeen side that defeated Queens Park 5-1 last week. Natasha Bruce making her first start of the season as she was joined in the starting line-up by Chloe Gover whilst Eilidh Shore and Johan Fraser took their place amongst the substitutes.

The visitors had the game’s first chance after seven minutes as Bailley Collins shot straight at Glasgow keeper Chloe Gibney. There was another chance just five minutes later as the Dons countered through Hutchison but her ball across goal was just too far ahead of Gover arriving in the middle.

Hutchison and Gover both had further efforts at goal in the opening twenty minutes as Dons created plenty of chances, Kelly Forrest also saw a header flash across the face of goal from a well worked set-piece. It wasn’t all one-way traffic though as the hosts looked to threaten through Shivohn Honeyman who saw an effort from the edge of the box go over the bar.

The game turned into a physical battle as the half wore on with both teams throwing everything into every challenge. Gover again came close to opening the scoring just before the half-hour mark as she saw her close range shot blocked.

At the other end a dangerous Taylor Hamill corner was headed just wide of the far-post as the hosts came close to breaking the deadlock. They threated again as the half drew to a close when Suzie Wyatt played in Hamill but Loren Campbell did well block the danger.


Glasgow started the second half brightly but couldn’t capitalise on a dangerous Lucy Ronald corner. Hamill then tried her luck from distance but her 30-yard free kick was always going over Gail Gilmour’s crossbar.

The visitors went in front in the 54th minute as Hutchison scored her sixth goal in four matches. Francesca Ogilvie broke down the right and clipped the ball across the edge of the box to HUTCHISON who sent her finish high into the net.

The hosts went in search of an equaliser and Gilmour did well in goals to block in the midst of a scramble in the box. Glasgow’s Kaitlyn Canavan picked up a booking as the physical nature of the game continued and Amy Strath was forced off with a head knock for the Dons, being replaced by Jessica Broadrick.

A quick free-kick almost caught out the Reds defence but Campbell was alert to the danger to clear whilst Hamill again tried her luck from distance but couldn’t keep her effort beneath the bar. Hamill then sent a dangerous free-kick into the area which was headed away well by Jenna Penman at the far post.

As the game entered the final ten minutes it looked as though Aberdeen were going to see out the victory. A half-chance for substitute Robinson was easily held by Gilmour whilst Bruce got back to cover after a long ball had threatened to get in behind the Dons’ defence.

Substitute Lauren Gordon tried her luck with a curling effort from distance which went wide as Aberdeen looked to see the game out in style but Glasgow were given a great chance to equalise with just five minutes remaining.

Natasha Bruce was adjudged to have committed a foul right on the corner of the area and the referee awarded the hosts a controversial penalty. Henderson stepped up but she sent her spot-kick over the crossbar as the visitors survived.

As the game went deep into stoppage time the visitors defended resolutely as they threw their bodies in front of everything their hosts could throw at them. Gilmour picked up a knock as she bravely blocked a late effort whilst Penman, who had been excellent in defence, was forced off with an injury.

The Dons held on as the final whistle blew in the 99th minute to maintain their impressive start to the season with a fourth consecutive victory.


Image: Aberdeen FC